Friday, April 5, 2013

The Realities of Being a SAHM

My expectations vs. the reality of being a Stay-at-home-mom...

Expectation: Newborns sleep all the time!
Reality: This was true for 1.5 months, after which naps lasted no longer than 30-40 minutes after I spent 20 minutes trying to get him to sleep.  And he woke up very grumpy.  Grumpy baby = miserable mom. *His napping improved drastically around 3 months when he started to suck his fingers.  Yeah, I know it's a hard habit to kick, but we'll deal with it later.  I'm just happy that he is finally sleeping well and so what if he sucks his fingers til he's 30? I'm sure he'll look just as cute doing it then as he does now! :)

Expectation: I'll have SO much time to keep the house clean and get chores done!
Reality: Step 1. Oh, the baby is finally down for a nap, let me check the computer real quick.  Step 2. Oh, it's been 45 minutes and the baby is up again!  Step 3. So much for cleaning up the kitchen. I'll do it during his next nap. Repeat Steps 1-3.  So the dust and clutter builds up until i can't stand it anymore and clean everything in one day.

Expectation: Yay!  I don't have to put makeup on every day!
Reality: My standards as to what outings deem putting on makeup have changed. I'm not one to wear a lot of makeup to begin with, but would usually put a little bit on any time i left the house.  Now, it depends. If I'm just running to the grocery to pick up a few things? Nah.  I won't see anyone I know anyway.  And now, if I put eyeliner on (which i used to wear everyday), you know we're going somewhere special!

I also have new standards for just *how dirty* clothes are.  Babies spit. and drool. and are usually just generally gross, which means my shirts are often covered in spit, drool, and are gross.  Maybe I've become so accustomed to it that I don't even notice it anymore.  I guess when your husband has to ask you "When was the last time you showered?", you know it's time to change the sour-milked stained shirt...

Expectation: I'll become a wonderful cook and have perfect dinners ready every night.
Reality: Ha. I do love to cook, but really find it hard to put the energy into planning meals.  This is something that I can definitely improve on if I put my mind to it, the little one just requires so much more attention than I thought.  And good luck trying to cut up vegetables/prepare a meal with him in a baby carrier strapped to your front. 1. You can't see around him and 2. He wants to grab everything you have in your hand (including the knife).

Expectation: It'll be so much fun to play with the baby!
Reality: This is generally true, but there are times when he just wants to be a grump and there isn't any toy in the world that will distract him from his grumpiness for more than 5 seconds.  Playmat? WAH! Exersaucer?  WAH! Highchair with toys? Throws them all on the floor, then WAH! I'm 98% sure he gets his grumpiness from his father. The other 2% is his grumpiness when he's hungry.  That trait was inherited from my mother :)
 
Expectation: Awe, he'll love to play/sleep in his cute little swing!
Reality: UGH!  Put him in the swing, he's driving me crazy!

Expectation: Being a SAHM is the best job in the world!
Reality: Even though there are days when I want to run away (like, FAR away) when my husband gets home, I wouldn't trade my situation for anything.  Every day, I feel so fortunate that we made the decision years ago that I would stay at home once we had a family.  We've both worked extremely hard to get to this point in our lives and I feel truly blessed to be able watch our little one grow up every day. It is the best (and probably hardest) job I've ever had.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great reminder! Already I forget these truths and think that life was so much easier when haze was a new born!

    ReplyDelete